Maintaining your bicycle should be as important to you as it is to us. We service all modern Mountain Bikes and Road Bicycles newer than 11 years old*, and we are very good & highly skilled. Our workshop is usually fully booked (like a good hairdresser) so please call us in advance to schedule your bicycle’s service, especially before the big races.
Unfortunately, we don’t service old bicycles, tandems, BMX’s, electric converted bicycles, commuter bikes and kid’s bicycles**. Our experience, tooling, parts stock, pricing and patience is often not suitable for these more obscure or older bikes. However, Woodstock Cycle Works and Bicycle Maintenance Company are better alternatives for servicing these types of bicycles.
*How do you know if it is older than 11 years old? If it has less than 9 gears on the rear wheel or doesn’t have hydraulic disc brakes (MTB’s), then it is either older than 11 years or one of the types of bikes we generally don’t work on or carry spares for.
**If it is a Specialized branded bicycle, or a bicycle purchased from us we will try to make an exception.
Most importantly, we are an official Specialized dealer and an endorsed Specialized workshop, and are therefore authorised to work on Specialized bicycles without any negative warranty implications.
Please read our 4 non-negotiable Terms & Conditions for accepting your bicycle for a service:
1. Various bicycle “noises” are a difficult gremlin to resolve and often require hours of work and lots of trial and error. As a result, we cannot guarantee that we will resolve the issue. Under these difficult circumstances, we will charge by the hour regardless of whether we can fix the issue. Check out our article on Resolving Noises for some ideas on how you can try to diagnose and resolve the noise yourself.
2. We will not do half jobs and will not be bullied into fixing one problem on a bike when there are a number of noticeable issues. For example, if your drive train is worn and your BB is shot, we will do both or neither. Bikes that leave our shop will be in the best condition they can be… we will not cut corners. Also, don’t bother booking in your bike for a Standard Service if you are not willing to replace the problem parts found in the Standard service which brings me to the next point below…
3. The cost of the services below are for the labour (incl. fluids: lubes, solvents, oils used) but they excludes parts & tubeless fluid. We don’t like phoning people to ask permission to fix and replace things and prefer to just get on with it to get the bicycle right. However, we understand that this is not always ideal as your budget is important and not unlimited. To ensure that the job gets done properly without you receiving an unexpectedly high bill, we will spend up to the same cost of the service, on any unexpected parts needed before we contact you… when that cap is hit we will begin calling to ask your permission. I.e. If you book your bike in for a Standard Service (R1200), we may spend up to an additional R1200 on unexpected parts before we contact you. This ensures your maximum bill before you get a phone call is R2400 (excluding the cost of any other parts you may have agreed on before the service… e.g. a new tyre). Obviously, you can waiver this agreement by just saying “do what needs to be done to make the bike perfect, I trust you”. This is the kind of customer we love! And if you’re a pessimist, ask yourself this, why would we ever try screw over this type of customer when we want their business forever!
4. The final T&C is that we don’t like storing peoples bicycles as they take up valuable space in our limited storage area. If we have agreed to be completed on a certain date, we would like you to collect your bicycle within 3 days of that agreed date. If the bike is with us longer, we will begin to charge a R10 per day (incl Sunday) storage fee, and if it is not collected, we will sell the bicycle after 6 months to defray expenses. Private arrangements for short periods of time such as if you are away on holiday and unable to collect in time can be made.
Here is a description of each of our Servicing levels and costs: Costs are for labour (incl most fluids: lubes, solvents, oils used) but excludes parts & tubeless fluid.
Pitstop (a.k.a. thorough Wash & Lube): R250
- Comprehensive wash and lube, followed by test ride (any extra work will be charged per addition)
- Maintenance Report if we find other issues
Mini (a.k.a. Minor) Service: R800
- All Pitstop points above, plus
- Check, replace, clean & set brake pads, rotors, cables, levers.
- Fit new brake cables and housing if required – (Road and V-Brake, excl Parts)
- Adjust gears – barrels, derailleur front and rear, straighten hanger
- Fit new gear cables and housing if required (excl. Parts)
- Clean and lube seat post and secure saddle
- Fit new tubes and/or tyres or add sealant or rotate tyres – if required/requested
Standard (a.k.a. Major) Service: R1200
- All Mini Service and Pitstop points above, plus
- Remove, clean, grease and refit headset (or replace)
- Remove, clean, grease and refit bottom bracket (or replace)
- Replace/service/lube freewheel body & bearings in hubs (if required)
- True wheels, tighten & lube spoke nipples, replace few spokes – minor wheel work
- Service/replace drive train – chain, cluster, crankset, chainrings, jockey wheels if required (excl. parts)
- Refill tubeless tyres, fit new tubeless conversion, rim seal and valves (excl fluid & parts)
- Check and adjust air pressure in fork and shock (only performed with owner present)
- Standard Service will be charged if we have to completely strip & rebuild a Road bicycle for a Frame Repair or Frame Replacement
Super (a.k.a. Rebuild) Service: R1600
- All Standard Service, Mini Service and Pitstop points above, plus
- Lube or replace all suspension pivot bearings (cost of new bearings not incl.)
- Torque rear triangle and clean/lube pivots and replace rear shock bushes if required
- Bleed disc brakes if required/requested
- Replace hydraulic brake hoses if required/requested
- Super Service will be charged if we have to completely strip & rebuild a Mountain bicycle for a Frame Repair or Frame Replacement
Additional Services Offered not incl. above:
- Specialised engineering: Engineer price + mark-up, minimum 5 days
- Wheel Builds: complete wheel R450, other wheel work from R150
- Tubeless Conversion: R100 per wheel excl. parts
- Fork/Shock Service*: from R1000 to R2000 each, to be performed in conjunction with bicycle service. *min 4 days
- Full Pivot Replacement*: labour R600 min (excl. cost of bearings)
- Box/Unpack Bicycle: R100 for box, R250 labour
- Random Bicycle Noises: R400/hour to attempt repair but there’s no guarantee that we’ll find it or repair permanently.